Alas, the long-awaited almond butter round-up review is here! I’ve been talking about posting this for a long while, and apologize for the delay–I was awaiting generous samples from the Barney Butter, Wild Friends Foods, and Yumbutter. While the samples were provided for this round-up, all opinions (as always) are mine.
So, here it goes!
In order to taste the almond butter, I began with all samples at room temperature, and put a tablespoon of each on a spoon [love being home for my final college spring break with endless beautiful ways to photograph food!]. I then tasted each, and made notes immediately after tasting. This is truly an almond butter taste test–no other products were eaten (i.e. crackers, etc.) I compared their visual appearance, texture, and taste and have crowned my winner–read on!
Wild Friends Foods Classic Creamy Almond Butter
Founded by 2 college students at the University of Oregon!
- Price: $18.99/16 oz. jar on Amazon
- Visual Appearance: After opening the jar, as the label warned, there was a significant amount of natural oil to mix in. Can see nice almond flecks throughout.
- Texture: Medium thickness; not overly thick nor oily (despite original oil impression)
- Taste: Great saltiness; overall very tasty. Would be great with jelly.
- Miscellaneous: Peanut-free facility, but not certified gluten free; non-GMO, kosher, and mostly organic products; no refrigeration needed
Yumbutter Superfood Almond Butter (with Chia, Hemp Seeds, & Goji)
Founded by 2 real adventurers who “run on nut butters.” Two-fold social mission: “Holistic Responsibility™” led the company to become a certified B corporation, a carbon-free company, and the leading socially-conscious nut butter company; BuyOne:FeedOne™ = partnership with Primeros Pasos in Guatemala to provide a pouch/jar of nut butter to a malnourished child and/or their mothers for EVERY SINGLE POUCH/JAR PURCHASED.
- Price: $5-7/7 oz. pouch on Yumbutter website/Thrive Market
- Visual Appearance: Dark brown; unremarkable appearance
- Texture: Very liquid like, despite kneading pouch; much more of a spread than an eat-alone-on-a-spoon type of nut butter
- Taste: Overwhelming taste of goji/chia seeds, less taste of almonds
- Miscellaneous: 3 new flavors about to come out! Pouches do not need refrigeration and are easily thrown in a bag and will not burst
Barney Butter Smooth Almond Butter
Environmentally-conscious company that believes in “leaving things better than we found them.” 100% of almonds are from local growers and all jars are from recycled plastics. Large supporters of Xerces Society (specifically for the honeybees). Uses #SpoonWorthy and motto “Spread the Love”
- Price: $9.99/16 oz jar on Barney website
- Visual Appearance: Looks very much like peanut butter!
- Texture: Very thick and smooth (not liquid-y from oil, nor grainy)
- Taste: Simply that of almonds and a great touch of salt.
- Miscellaneous: Certified gluten free, peanut free, kosher, and most flavors non-GMO. Come in jars and single-serve packs.
Congratulations to the winner…
BARNEY BUTTER ALMOND BUTTER!
As a standout in taste and texture, BB took the crown in my personal review. I look forward to tasting the other flavors.
So, what’s your favorite nut butter brand? Prefer sunbutter? Peanut butter? Cashew butter? Share in the comments!
Take it easy, but take it (with lots of almond butter on top!)